Mandate of the Gauteng Provincial Government
The Premier is the executive authority of the province, an authority that is sometimes exercised together with members of the executive council. The Premier has the power to appoint members of the executive council and assign their functions.
The Premier, working with the executive council, exercises executive power by:
- implementing provincial legislation in the province
- implementing national legislation
- administering national legislation in the province, if assigned by parliament
- developing and implementing provincial policy
- coordinating the functions of the provincial administration and its departments
- performing any other function assigned to the provincial executive in terms of the constitution or law
To support the Premier and Executive Council in implementing Gauteng Provincial Government (GPG) policies as well as their statutory and political responsibilities effectively and efficiently.
To be an innovative, responsive and vibrant nerve centre for people-centred governance.
- Integrity - honesty, accountability, trust and respect
- Batho Pele - caring, empathy, respect, recognition, value, reward, compassion and consultation
- Teamwork - partnership, cooperation and consultation
- Professionalism - capable, communication, skills development and transparency
- Social equality - no discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ethnic or social origin, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture or language