Site ActionsUse SHIFT+ENTER to open the menu (new window).Open MenuNavigate Up

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find a government job?

Print and complete an Application for Employment form (Z.83) PDF, or obtain it from any Public Service Department.

Post your application, quoting the relevant reference number and position for which you are applying, to: Private Bag X112, Marshalltown, South Africa, 2107 or deliver it to Gauteng Department of Finance, 78 Fox Street, Johannesburg, 2001, for attention of the relevant Human Resource contact person (mentioned at bottom of advert).

Your application should be accompanied by certified copies of qualifications, identity document and a comprehensive CV.

Due to the large number of applications we may be receiving, applications will not be acknowledged; you may however contact our Call Centre on (011) 355 2222, to check the status of your application. If you do not receive any response from us within 3 months, please consider your application unsuccessful.

Gauteng Provincial Government is committed to the achievement and maintenance of diversity and equity in employment; especially in respect of race, gender and disability.

The government vacancies circular is published online every Monday. Go to The circular contains most jobs advertised by government. Unless otherwise stated, the due date for applications is a month after the circular is issued. In order to apply you will need a copy of the Z83 form, which can be found here:


How do I start a business?

The level of business will determine what you need to do. If you are a street vendor, then you need a trading licence from your local Metro.

Developing a business plan

If you intend to start your own company, you need to be sure that the business idea you have is sustainable, and that your business will be financially viable. The government's Small Enterprise Development Agency, an agency of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), helps develop small businesses. They will help you develop your business plan and access the necessary training and finance. Go to for more information.

Individuals have a choice of what type of company they can register. Go to the DTI website for more information or visit the business page on this website.

Training and mentoring

Vocational Training is provided by institutions and businesses connected to the 23 Sector Education and Training Authorities. Visit their websites for more information:

How do I find schools in my area?

The Gauteng Department of Education has a comprehensive list of schools in Gauteng, which you can access on their searchable online database:

How do I obtain a bursary?

 The National Student Financial Aid Scheme provides funding to students who cannot afford to finance their studies. Go to:

Bursaries are also available from the Gauteng Provincial Government Departments -  Health and Social Development, and the Gauteng Department of Transport and Public Works.

The Gauteng Provincial Government (GPG) offers bursaries to the top three learners from Quintile 1, 2 and 3 schools (no fee paying schools). Representatives from the GPG normally visit all the 318 schools at the beginning of the year to give information about the bursaries and also to motivate the learners.

The GPG Bursary section can be contacted on (011) 556-9000 for more information.

See the Contact your government page for their contact details.

The Department of Sports Arts Culture and Recreation provides funding to Sports Arts and Cultural Organisations. To down load the application forms, go to:

How do I access emergency services?

  • Flying squad: 10111
  • Ekurhuleni - Life-threatening emergencies: 011 458 0911 or 10177 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Johannesburg - Contact the Control Centre on 10177 or 112 if you are phoning from a cellphone.
  • Mogale City - Emergencies: 107 or 011 951-3030; Ambulance: 107 (all hours); Fire: 107 (all hours)
  • Tshwane - Fire and rescue emergencies: 012 310 6300 or 012 310 6400. The Customer Care Contact Centre (012 358 9999) reroutes all emergency calls through guided options 24 hours a day.

How do I fight crime?

The best way to fight crime is to let the authorities know when you see a crime happening, or are aware that a crime is about to take place. SMS anonymous tips to Crime Line on 32211, or visit their website at

To report corruption, contact the public service National Anti-Corruption Hotline on 0800 701 701, send a toll-free fax to 0800 204 965, email, or visit the National Anti-Corruption Forum website at

The Department of Home Affairs has a division which counters and investigates identity document fraud. Contact them on 012 810 7286 (investigations) or 012 810 8563 (prevention).

How do I qualify for social housing?

Phone the Department of Local Government and Housing on their Customer Support number 08000 46873.

Gauteng residents are urged to provide their personal information on the Housing Demand Database at the Customer Support Centre, 37 Sauer Street, Johannesburg to ensure that they form part of the Demand for Housing in Gauteng.

You and your spouse need to bring with you both originals and copies of the following documents:

  • South African green ID book
  • Birth certificates or ID book of financial dependants
  • For deceased spouse - death certificate
  • Spouse ID book if married
  • Marriage certificate if married - bring your partner with you
  • Divorce decree if divorced
  • Payslip if working

How do I get personal documents?

All personal documents are accessible only through the Department of Home Affairs offices. If you need to apply for an ID, then you need to go to the ID offices to collect a form, because these forms are no longer available online, in order to combat ID fraud.

For a list of regional and local Home Affairs offices, go to or phone the customer toll-free hotline 0800 601 190.

How do I get social grants?

All social grants in South Africa are managed by the South African Social Services Agency (Sassa). All information on social grants is available on their website, where you can download the brochure You and Your Grants. Visit

How do I register as a preferred supplier?

The Gauteng Provincial Government has a database of preferred suppliers which is administered by the Gauteng Department of Finance. Go to

How do I find out about government tenders?

National tenders are advertised every Friday on the government information portal. Go to

To tender for government work in Gauteng, go to

<August 2017>